Friday, September 17, 2010

SOLD TO THE CHIC

posted by Catherine Büman, sienna

On arrival to the Jewellery and Object design annual fundraising auction 2010, my friend asked me “who do you know here?” It took me a while to glance around the room and recognise my fellow students without their knee length aprons, old jeans and goggles. This was everyone’s opportunity to ditch the workshop slum for something more glamorous and people did not disappoint. Amongst my favorite outfits were Ian Koker’s black feather shoulder pads, Joao Vaz’s all-in-one with shiny red shoes and the little black dresses, heels and token white gloves donned by the lady students hosting the evening.

I really like this annual auction. Every year I count my (small) budget, sip a few glasses of wine and launch into bidding for a collector piece by some of my most revered mentors. So far, I have purchased a little glass pod by Jane Morrisey and a set of rings by Melinda Young, for this event I really wanted one of the beautifully streamlined brooches by Ragnar Hansen. Well, competition was tough…really tough. Something about this evening had everyone particularly excited and the bidding was head to head. I lost out several times to the very chic Marina, but had a lot of fun.

It was really nice to see the entire department, teachers and all, having such a good time. Thank you very much to all the stage two students, the gorgeous auctioneer and others who put on this fundraising event. It was one of the best auctions and our exhibitions will profit greatly from your efforts.


Going once, going twice, going three times...

Just one last message for Danielle Butters… next year!


Thank you to auctioneer, Nadya.

No comments: